Monday, December 19, 2011

My husband and I have a DishNetwork satellite connection?

Question Details: We only get the basics, no Showtime, Court TV, HBO, etc. because he says he doesn't like movies. I noticed several months after we got the service a warning type message would appear on the tv screen saying that the phone line needed to be connected or we'd get charged. I asked him how that happened, and he gave me his usual vague techno babble about why the phone line was unconnected to begin with. Well, I'm discovering that he watches adult pay-per-view, but I didn't say too much about it. Our computer and TV seem to have an awful lot of cables and wires, way more than other homes I've seen. Anyone have an idea what the heck is going on? There is a tv tuner in the main computer (we network with our daughter's computer), but my husband swears there isn't. I found receipts for video hardware including nvidia stuff, something called a "remote wonder", and there seems to be a tremendous amount of hardware, applications, programs, software, wires, and cables hooked up|||You're quite the detective. If you don't have your phone line hooked up you can get charged 5 dollars or so a month. He may want it unplugged so it wont show purchase history. You don't have to have it plugged in to get ppv, you can call it in or go online and order it. The remote wonder is a remote control that allows you to operate your computer from another room. Sounds like he's got it all hooked up so he can watch video from his computer on the tv. Just guessing, good luck.|||First, with DISH, even if you aren't getting pay per view, you get charged an extra amount each month if you are not connected to a phone line. We had problems with ours causing Internet issues at one point and unplugged and have been getting charged for it. \





There are possibly a lot of cables depending on your system. The Dish system has it's own power source, unlike DirecTV (at least when we had it) so that may be part of it. Also, you can have multiple TVs hooked up, and sometimes you can hook up a DVR and the like.





You should either find the manual for the unit, or go online, and they will have schematics for your unit, to help you determine what is hooked up -- if it is that important to you.





The Dish bill is pretty detailed -- so if you look at the bill next month, and don't understand any of the charges, contact their customer support and ask questions about the bill.|||I am not sure what your ? is but I am assuming that he is unplugging the phone line while purchasing adult movies in hopes that either you won't find out or he wont be charged! As soon as you plug the line back in you get charged and the satelite Co doesnt like it when that happens!


I may have answered with a whole different answer than you were looking for sorry if I did!!|||Sounds like you have several questions, some of which are beyond my speculation. Whatever you've found in receipts and your computer is something you'll need to deal with your husband.





Pay-per-view on DISH is only available with a telephone line hookup to your receiver. I don't know why, and I think it's a scam, that DISH will charge an extra $5 a month for subscriber update information when the phone line is not hooked up. To me, that's charging me for what I don't want or use.





If there are pay-per-view charges on your DISH bill, then a phone line is hooked up to receive them. If your receiver warns you that you're subject to an extra fee because it detects no phone line, then no phone line is hooked up.





The only way it can be both ways is if the phone line is hooked up to get pay-per-view, and then unhooked afterward, which is kind of expensive I'd think. Why pay a fee for non-use of an option that is getting used?





As for the extra cables and hardware, I don't understand the question unless you're a technophobe. If you have doubts about your husband's expenditures, then that is not a technical question, but a relational one.

No comments:

Post a Comment